FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Superior colour to make your wood projects stand out.
1. What are the benefits of DesignWood?
• Colour and preservative protection in one step
• A finished project from the start - no need to initially stain
• Proven product performance with the longest lasting colourant on the market
• Works in unison with the CA and ACQ environmentally advanced preservatives
• DesignWood with CA or ACQ penetrates deep into the wood for more protection.
• CA and ACQ preservatives are made from 100% recycled copper.
• Commercialized in the United States in 1992, ACQ earned the U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency’s Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award. Its widespread use in North America and
Europe eliminated the use of CCA in residential use.
• ACQ is CSA approved and has provided proven protection in Canada in severe environments
• CA and ACQ with DesignWood meet requirements of National Building Code of Canada (NBCC).
• Ideal for Decks, Fences, Trellis’, Docks and Playsets
• Lifetime Limited Warranty against termites and fungal attack
2. What type of screws and fasteners do you recommend?
• We recommend hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel screws that are building code approved,
corrosion-resistant fasteners and connectors suitable for use in treated wood.
• For coastal installations, use code-approved stainless steel.
3. How do I remove the grade stamp from my deck?
• Light sanding will remove or lighten the grade stamp’s appearance.
4. How long do I need to wait before I seal my deck or fence?
• Allow treated wood to dry prior to application - typically around 60 days after installation. Test the
wood with a few drops of water to see if the wood is dry enough to readily absorb water, then test a
small portion of the deck.
• Apply a water repellent sealer at least every two years to keep your project looking great.
5. Installation Tips
• Butt boards tightly together during installation as they will shrink slightly in width and thickness as
they dry out.
• Pre-drill holes about 3/4” from the edges of boards to help prevent splitting.
• Use screws to improve holding performance.
• Install fasteners flush to the wood surface. Do not overdrive fastener.
• For ground contact support posts, install the un-cut ends in the ground.
6. What do you recommend I use to clean my deck
• Keep your outdoor living space looking its best with the right cleaners and sealers to
enhance its long-term beauty.
• Liquid detergents, water and a stiff bristle brush will remove most mildew and dirt.
• Always follow the manufacturer’s mixing and application instructions.
• Never use household chloride bleaches on wood as it can cause damage to the wood
fibers and fasteners.
• Care should be taken if a pressure-washer is used for cleaning, as excessive pressure may
cause damage to the wood.
What questions can we help with?